Bring your Memorial Day barbeque up a notch this year with these delicious Mediterranean shish kebabs that incorporate pure essential oils.
Mediterranean Herbed Shish Kebabs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 2 tsp. minced garlic clove
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 2 drops marjoram essential oil
- 2 drops thyme essential oil
- 3 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 red onion
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 12 mushrooms
- 6 wooden skewers
- In a large zip-lock bag, combine olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, cumin, marjoram essential oil, thyme essential oil, rosemary essential oil, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes, and place the cubes in the zip-lock bag.
- Seal the zip-lock bag, and shake to evenly coat the chicken with the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Slice the zucchini, and cut the onion into chunks.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the chicken out of the bag, and place it on a plate or in a bowl. Discard the marinade.
- Thread the chicken and vegetables onto the wooden skewers. You can choose to put a combination of vegetables and chicken on each skewer, or you can cook the chicken and vegetables on separate skewers (this allows you to cook the chicken fully without overcooking the vegetables).
- Sprinkle the vegetables lightly with salt, if desired.
- Place skewers on a heated grill, and cook until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Remove from grill, and serve immediately!