Make the man in your life this all-natural shaving cream and aftershave lotion for Father’s Day! He’ll love the way the shaving cream helps him get a smooth shave and how the aftershave moisturizes and soothes his face.
The shaving cream recipe is from the Do It Yourself Health: Man’s Guide to Essential Oils Tear Pad, where you can find other recipes and ideas for how men can benefit from the use of essential oils.
- 2/3 cup Coconut Oil (solid-state)
- 2/3 cup Shea Butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 10 drops lavender essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- Glass jar
- Melt Coconut Oil and Shea Butter in a double boiler
over medium heat until combined.
- Remove from heat, and add olive oil and essential oils.
- Stir to mix.
- Refrigerate in jar until solid.
- Remove from refrigerator, and transfer to stand mixer
bowl (or use a hand mixer with a regular bowl). Add
baking soda, and whip until light and fluffy.
- Spoon into jar, and keep in a cool, dry place.
- Use a shave brush or fingers to apply before shaving.
Source: This recipe can be found on the Do It Yourself Health: Man’s Guide to Essential Oils Tear Pad.
- 4 tsp. Beeswax Pellets
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil or Grape Seed Oil (Note: Grape Seed Oil is a great choice because it is mildly astringent and great for skin, but it does have a scent. So if you don’t mind the scent, Grape Seed Oil is the best choice for aftershave.)
- 1/2–1 tsp. Vitamin E Oil (about 40 drops)
- 7 Tbsp. aloe vera gel (juice can substitute)
- 4 Tbsp. witch hazel
- 1/2 tsp. Vegetable Glycerin
- 20 drops essential oils of choice
- 4 oz. Blue Glass Bottle with Pump Top
- Combine the Beeswax, Coconut Oil or Grape Seed Oil, and vitamin E oil in a glass bowl.
- Melt the oils in the microwave or on the stovetop in a pan filled with an inch of simmering water (creating a double boiler). Heat until completely melted. The Beeswax will take the longest, so make sure to use pellets or grate finely. Remove from heat once completely melted.
- In a separate glass bowl, mix together the aloe vera gel, witch hazel, and Vegetable Glycerin.
- Whip the oil mixture with a handheld or stand electric mixer for a few seconds before slowly pouring the warmed aloe vera gel mixture into the oil mixture. Add essential oils, and whip for a few minutes until thickened and lotion-looking.
- Pour the lotion into a plastic bag. With scissors, cut off a corner of the bag just a tiny bit. Squeeze the lotion into the 4 oz. Blue Glass Bottle, and screw on the pump top.