Even if you aren’t a huge fan of Asian food, you will love this curry and coconut rice! This curry features a mild coconut curry sauce with chicken and lots of vegetables and tastes amazing on a bed of coconut cardamom rice. The curry is pretty mild, so if you like more spice, just add more curry powder and Garam Masala. We hope you enjoy the delightful flavors the essential oils add to this dish!
Chicken Coconut Curry with Essential Oils
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder, divided
- 2 cans coconut milk (minus 1 cup for rice)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4–5 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet pepper, diced or sliced into strips
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in small chunks
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 small heads of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 drop ginger essential oil
- 1 drop lemongrass essential oil
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and 1 Tbsp. curry powder. Stir occasionally, and cook for 10 minutes or until the sweet potato is half cooked.
- While the sweet potato is cooking, make the sauce. In a small bowl, mix together coconut milk, chicken broth, tomato paste, Garam Masala, 1 Tbsp. curry powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add the carrots and onion, and continue to sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and sweet pepper, and continue to sauté for 1–2 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to the slow cooker. Add chicken, celery, broccoli, and prepared sauce. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 2–3 hours.
- Once chicken is cooked through and vegetables are soft, stir in essential oils and serve over rice.
Note: If sauce is too runny, mix together 6 Tbsp. water and 4 Tbsp. cornstarch or arrowroot powder in a small bowl, and then stir into curry.
Coconut Cardamom Rice
- 2 cups Thai jasmine-scented white rice (note: other types of rice will not work)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. dry shredded coconut
- 1 drop cardamom essential oil
- Place all ingredients in a rice cooker. Stir well to break up clumps. Cover, and set to cook.
- Once the rice cooker switches to “warm” mode, allow to sit for 8–10 minutes to allow rice to finish steaming. This makes the rice fully cooked and pleasantly sticky.
- Fluff rice with a fork before serving.