Here’s a recipe for our pasta-loving friends! But, even if you don’t like pasta, don’t let that stop you from trying this delicious spinach-basil pesto! This pesto is also great with chicken, tilapia, quinoa, or bread and in any other basil pesto dish.
Spinach-Basil Pesto Chicken Pasta
- 8–12 oz. pasta of choice
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups spinach leaves, tough stems removed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (almonds or walnuts can be used instead if needed)
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 drop basil essential oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2–3 chicken breasts, cooked and sliced or cubed
- Boil water in a pot, and cook pasta according to the directions on the package.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the minced garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Pack the spinach in the bottom of your blender. Press the spinach down as much as possible. Add pine nuts, sautéed garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and essential oils on top of the spinach in the blender.
- Blend the ingredients together by using the pulse setting on the blender and pausing to scrape the sides as needed.
- Add Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper, and blend in. Note: If you wish to freeze any of this pesto, you will want to freeze it before adding the Parmesan cheese.
- Combine or layer pasta, chicken, and spinach-basil pesto, and enjoy!
For additional flavor, marinate the chicken for 30–60 minutes before cooking in 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, 2 drops basil essential oil, 3 drops lemon essential oil, and a small handful of fresh basil leaves cut up.