It’s the time of year for scratchy throats and coughing. Try this healthy recipe for lozenges that will help soothe your throat. In addition to the honey and coconut oil, we have added essential oils to enhance the benefits.
You can choose which oil you would like to add, but be sure to consult your Modern Essentials™ book for recommendations on which oils are safe to consume. Some of the oils we tried that worked well include grapefruit, lemon, Protective Blend, and peppermint.
Soothing Throat Lozenges
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 10–15 drops of your favorite essential oil
- Candy thermometer
- Candy mold
- Place honey and coconut oil in a pot. Bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, reduce heat and simmer.
- Using a candy thermometer, allow the mixture to reach a temperature of 300 degrees F, and then remove the mixture from the stove.
- Stir in essential oils.
- Set the mixture aside for a couple minutes, allowing it to cool and begin to solidify.
- Pour the mixture into candy molds. You will need to work fast, since the mixture hardens quickly and will become hard to pour.
- Once the candy mold is full, refrigerate for 1 hour.
- You may need to experiment with the amount of drops of essential oil you add due to the potency and the strength of the flavor of individual oils.
- The lozenges will soften at room temperature and begin sticking together; in order to keep the shape, keep them in the fridge until needed. If possible, leave the lozenges in the mold: this will allow them to keep their shape better and not stick together.
- If you do not have a candy mold, let the mixture cool until you can touch it without burning your hands; then proceed to pull pieces off and roll them into balls. Refrigerate. Note: the lozenges won’t harden as well if handled excessively.
Dust the lozenges with vitamin C or Calcium powder for added benefits and to prevent them from sticking together.