Making your own condiments can be cheaper and healthier. It also allows you to customize the flavor to your preference. Try this mayonnaise with an added essential oil flavor such as basil, rosemary, lemon, or black pepper!
- 1 egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1/4 tsp. (1.5 g) salt
- 1/4 tsp. (0.5–1 g) garlic pepper
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) mustard
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) vinegar
- 10 Tbsp. (150 ml) olive oil
- 1 drop essential oil of choice (we suggest basil, rosemary, lemon, or black pepper)
- Add the egg yolk, salt, garlic pepper, mustard, 2 Tbsp. olive oil, and vinegar to a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk quickly, always turning the same direction.
- Once the mixture thickens, add a little bit more oil, and whisk until it becomes thick again (approximately 2 Tbsp. at a time until you have added an additional 10 Tbsp.).
- Add 1 drop essential oil to the mayonnaise, depending on which flavor you would prefer.
- Enjoy with a toasted tomato sandwich or any other recipe calling for mayonnaise.