Make your own beeswax yarn strips for a fun sensory activity for your children. These strips are fun to bend into shapes to create a picture or sculpture. They also make a great quiet activity to take with you on the go.
Flexible Beeswax Yarn Art
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 2 cups (144 g) beeswax pellets
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) jojoba oil
- Crock pot
- Colored yarn
- Melt the beeswax in a small crock pot or double boiler.
- Once the wax is melted, add the jojoba oil.
- Cut your yarn to the desired length (9 inches [23 cm] is a good starting point).
- Add the yarn to the melted beeswax-jojoba mixture.
- Once the yarn is completely covered in wax, remove the yarn from the crock pot using a toothpick or bamboo skewer, and lay out in individual strips to dry. (We laid our strips on a plastic grocery bag.)
- Once the wax dries, have fun creating pictures and sculptures with your waxed yarn strips!
If desired, you can add essential oil to the wax mixture for an additional sensory experience. Start with 2–4 drops, and then add more depending on your preference for scent.