These colored lip balms are so fun to make for any woman, young or old! The Kool-Aid® not only gives the lip balms a vibrant color, but also a fun taste. You can even add peppermint essential oil to give your lips a cooling sensation with each use! With the recipe provided below, you can make a big batch of the same color/flavor, or you can get creative and make a bunch of different ones!
Kool-Aid® Lip Balm
- 6 g (approx 4 tsp.) Beeswax
- 10 g (approx 4 Tbsp.) Cocoa Butter (3–3 1/2 wafers)
- 3 Tbsp. (15 ml) Jojoba Oil
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) honey
- 10–20 drops peppermint essential oil (optional)
- 1/2–3/4 tsp. flavored drink mix, such as Kool-Aid® (strawberry and cherry flavors work well with the peppermint essential oil, and they give a great red color)
- Hot water (just enough to make a thick paste with the drink mix)
- 1/4 oz. Plastic Lip Gloss Containers (makes 4), 1/4 oz. Glass Lip Gloss Containers (makes 4), or Lip Balm Dispensers (makes 8–10)
- Using a kitchen scale, measure out the beeswax and cocoa butter, and place in a double boiler. (Note: you can create a double boiler by placing ingredients in a heat-proof glass dish and placing the dish in a water-filled pan.) Heat over low heat until melted.
- Meanwhile, place drink mix in a glass dish, and add just enough hot water to make a paste.
- Once the beeswax and cocoa butter are melted, add jojoba oil and honey, and keep warming until everything is melted. Let cool slightly, and stir in essential oil if desired.
- Add oil mixture to drink mix, and stir/mash with the back of a spoon until it is thoroughly combined.
- Place lip balm in a zip-top bag, and snip off a small hole in a corner with scissors. Squeeze the lip balm into the containers by twisting the bag and squeezing down. Tap the container against a hard surface to help it move to the bottom of the container. Continue until the containers are full.
- Place containers in fridge until the lip balm has fully cooled.
Note: If you want to make multiple flavors, just prep your drink mix in separate
bowls, and only use 1/8–1/4 tsp. per dish. Then stir in 1/2–1 Tbsp. (7.5–15 ml) of the oil mixture. This should fill 1 lip gloss container or 2 lip balm dispensers.
This recipe was featured in our new online Gift Guide. Take a look at all the other fun recipes and gift ideas!