If you are one of the many people who make a resolution to eat healthier this new year, then you should give this recipe a try! Even though these cookie bites are so delicious, they are also packed with protein and a variety of nutrients to give you a little burst of energy. Just pop one in your mouth when you need a snack or when you have a craving for something sweet!
Healthy No-Bake Cookie Bites with Coconut Oil
- 1 3/4 cups (158 g) oats (quick or rolled)
- 1/3 cup (54 g) chia seeds
- 1/4 cup (24 g) cocoa or cacao powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup (125 g) almond butter (or other nut butter)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) honey
- 1/2 cup (96 g) coconut oil
- 3/4 cup (139 g) cooked quinoa*
- 1/2 cup (55 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2–5 drops peppermint essential oil (you could also use orange, cinnamon, or cardamom essential oil, but you may want to start with less)
- Combine oats, chia seeds, cocoa or cacao powder, and sea salt in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond butter, honey, and coconut oil. Mix well, and then add cooked quinoa. Stir until well combined.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together, and mix well. You may need to use your hands to mix.
- Stir in a drop of peppermint essential oil. Taste; then add another drop if needed. Repeat until you like the flavor.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or in a silicone mold.
- Place in the refrigerator until firm.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
*Note: To cook quinoa, place 1/4 cup (43 g) quinoa and 1/2 cup (120 ml) water in a small pot, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork, and continue cooking for 5 more minutes or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water. You can also cook the quinoa in a rice cooker as you would cook regular white rice.