If you are a fan of Almond Joys, Mounds, or Bounty bars, you are sure to love these sweet treats! We added peppermint essential oil to this well-loved and healthy recipe, and these taste just like peppermint patties! For an extra special twist, you could even try cinnamon essential oil instead! If your significant other likes healthy treats, this may be the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for him or her.
Coconut Peppermint Patties
- 1 3/4 cups (160 g) unsweetened shredded coconut*
- 1 Tbsp. (12 g) coconut oil
- 2–3 Tbsp. (30–45 ml) maple syrup*
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. (750 mg) salt
- 2–4 drops peppermint essential oil (or 1–2 drops cinnamon essential oil)
- Organic dark chocolate
- Place 1 cup (92 g) shredded coconut and 1 Tbsp. (12 g) coconut oil in a food processor; blend on high speed, scraping down the sides as needed, until the mixture resembles a butter consistency.
- Add the maple syrup, coconut milk, vanilla extract, salt, and peppermint essential oil; blend again until combined.
- Add 3/4 cup (68 g) shredded coconut, and continue processing until combined.
- Press the coconut mixture into a silicone mold. If you don’t have a silicone mold, you can also shape the coconut mixture into 1″ balls, bars, or patties, or press into a small cookie cutter and set on a plate.
- Place in the refrigerator until firm (preferably overnight).
- Once the coconut mixture has firmed up, melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler. (You can create a double boiler by placing a glass bowl or measuring cup over a pan holding an inch of simmering water.)
- When the chocolate is melted, dip each coconut shape into the chocolate. Allow the chocolate to harden by placing the pieces back in the refrigerator for 5–10 minutes.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
*Note: If you use sweetened shredded coconut, omit the maple syrup and add just a little more coconut milk.