Have you tried hasselback potatoes yet? They are a lot like baked potatoes, but rather than piercing the potatoes with a fork, you cut slices in them with a knife, then fill the slices with yummy ingredients either before or after baking them. When making hasselback potatoes with essential oils, it’s best to add the oils after baking the potatoes so you don’t lose the health benefits of the oils.
Start by slicing the potatoes, drizzling them with olive oil, and sprinkling salt and pepper on top before baking them. While they bake, mix up the herb butter by melting butter and stirring in the essential oils. If you happen to taste the herb butter, you may find the essential oils to be a bit strong. Just trust us, though—the final product tastes delicious!
When the potatoes are soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, pull them out of the oven. Then, while they are still hot, drizzle on the herb butter. Make sure to get it in between the slices.
Add a little fresh parsley for a pop of color, and sprinkle on some parmesan cheese for the final touch! Don’t wait too long to get a bite of this delicious potato!
Hasselback Herb Potatoes
- 2–3 lbs. (1–1.5 kg) small potatoes
- Black pepper
- Olive oil
- 1/3–1/2 cup (80–120 ml) melted butter (can use olive oil or a mixture of butter and olive oil)
- 2 drops rosemary essential oil
- 2 drops basil essential oil
- 2 drops thyme essential oil
- 2 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 drop oregano essential oil
- 1 drop black pepper essential oil
- 1/4 tsp. (1.5 g) salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Fresh minced parsley for garnish
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Slice along each potato in 1/16-inch (2 mm) intervals, making sure to only slice a little more than halfway through the potato. It is easiest to start cutting on one end, then when you get to the middle, rotate the potato and continue cutting from the other end toward the middle again.
- Place the sliced potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast the potatoes in the oven for about 30–40 minutes, until tender on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- While the potatoes are roasting, mix together the herb butter.
- Once the potatoes are done, pull them out of the oven, and brush the herb butter mixture evenly over the potatoes and in between the slices.
- Sprinkle potatoes with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Note: The herb butter may seem pretty strong if tasted on its own, but it tastes just right when combined with the potato.