Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this year with a hearty Irish Beef Stew! You can now enjoy the comforting flavors of this dish along with the health benefits of the essential oils. Try pairing this beef stew with our Rosemary Artisan Sourdough Bread for an easy make-ahead meal.
Irish Beef Stew
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) stew beef, cut into 1″ (2.5 cm) pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4–6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) potatoes, cut into 1/2″ (1.25 cm) pieces
- 6 carrots, cut into 1/4″ (0.75 cm) coins
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cups (720 ml) beef broth
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. (12.5 g) sugar (or 1/2 Tbsp. honey)
- 1 tsp. (2.25 g) paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) cold water
- 3 Tbsp. (22.5 g) flour
- 5 drops thyme essential oil
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops oregano essential oil
- 2 Tbsp. (7.5 g) chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season beef with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add beef to skillet, and sauté until brown on all sides. Add garlic, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Transfer the beef to a slow cooker. Add potatoes, carrots, onion, beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, paprika, and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7–8 hours or on high heat for 3–4 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cold water and flour; stir into stew. Add the essential oils, and cook on high heat for an additional 20–30 minutes or until the broth has thickened. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley if desired.