These Harvest Turkey Sloppy Joes put a fun autumn twist on the average sloppy joe. You’ll love the rich flavor, and your body will thank you for the healthier ingredients! Everyone who tried this recipe gave it a big thumbs up!
Harvest Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb. (450 g) ground turkey (for a vegan option, substitute this with 1 cup [190 g] dried green lentils)
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 1/2 cups (210 g) diced butternut squash
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tomato paste
- 1 tsp. (2 g) mustard powder
- 1 tsp. (2 g) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. (1 g) paprika
- 1 can (15 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 cup (245 g) canned pumpkin puree
- 3–4 Tbsp. (45–60 ml) maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. (3 g) salt
- 1–2 drops black pepper essential oil
- 2 drops cumin essential oil
- 1–2 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1 drop thyme essential oil
- If using lentils: Add the lentils and 2 cups (480 ml) of water to a pot. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 8 minutes. Add in the cubed butternut squash, and simmer until both the squash and lentils are tender, about 7–12 more minutes. Drain any excess water, and set aside.
- If using ground turkey: In a large skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add in the ground turkey, onion, and butternut squash, and cook until the turkey is cooked through and the butternut squash is soft (about 7–10 minutes).
- Add in the garlic, tomato paste, mustard powder, cumin, and paprika. Sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Add in the tomato sauce, pumpkin puree, and maple syrup. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the apple cider vinegar, salt, and essential oils. Stir to combine. Remove from the heat, and serve with buns or flatbread, over potatoes, on a salad, or as desired. We enjoyed our sloppy joes with onion slices, lettuce, and avocado on a Kaiser roll.