Have you ever used flavored sugar to sweeten your tea, sprinkle on toast, or use in your baking? Vanilla-flavored sugar is common and quite popular in European desserts, but you can easily make different flavors when you use essential oils. Try making some and using it to flavor toast, pancakes, french toast, crème brûlée, cereal, fruits, or milk and other beverages.
Gift idea: add your flavored sugar to 4 oz. glass salve jars, attach a little plastic spoon and a gift tag, and give it away as a unique neighbor gift.
Essential Oil–Flavored Sugar
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 2 cups (400 g) natural cane sugar
- 10–15 drops essential oil (lemon, grapefruit, orange, peppermint, cinnamon, cassia, etc.)
- Storage container(s) (such as 4 oz. Glass Salve Jars, 12 oz. PET Jar, or 16 oz. PET Jar)
- Place the sugar in a glass bowl. Stir in essential oil for a couple minutes.
- Fill jar(s) with your flavored sugar, or use right away.
- Scrape out the seeds of a vanilla bean and add them to your sugar along with an essential oil. You can even throw in the vanilla pod for extra flavor.
(Remove the pod after 2–3 weeks.)
Use your flavored sugar in one of these recipes: