Spring rain can bring with it a lot of congestion; whether it’s from seasonal allergies or catching a cold, we all tend to get a little stuffed up this time of year. A common method of relieving congestion is taking a hot, steamy shower—so why not double the benefits by combining your hot shower with these eucalyptus vapor disks? These vapor disks can do wonders to break up congestion and clear your airways. Just place one on the floor of the shower, and breathe in the aroma with the steam. You’ll be feeling better in no time!
Decongestant Shower Vapor Disks
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) baking soda
- 1/3–1/2 cup (75–125 ml) water
- 8 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops rosemary essential oil
- Food coloring (optional)
- Muffin liners or silicone mold
- In a bowl, add water to the baking soda until the mixture forms a thick paste.
- Add essential oils, and stir.
- If desired, mix in 1–2 drops food coloring.
- Line a muffin tin with the muffin liners, or use a silicone mold.
- Spoon the paste into the liners until it’s about 1/2″ (1 cm) thick.
- Allow the disks to solidify for 24 hours before removing from the liners.
- While taking a hot shower, place the disk on the ground by your feet, and breathe in the aroma with the steam to clear your airways.
If the disks feel too wet, allow them to dry longer before using.
You can also bake the disks at 350°F (175°C) for 15–20 minutes to harden them faster.
It can be hard to get the ratio of water and baking soda perfect, but don’t worry—even if the disks crumble, they will still do their job. Just scatter the crumbles on the floor of the shower, and breathe in deep!