If you’re looking for a new international recipe, you’ll love this European classic. These stuffed peppers are delicious and relatively easy to make. The hint of essential oil adds a nice flavor and makes these even healthier! Your whole family will love this tasty new recipe!
- 4 large bell peppers
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- 2 cups (500 ml) marinara sauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) beef broth
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. (400 mg) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (185 g) uncooked white rice
- 1 drop oregano essential oil
- 1 drop basil essential oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (100 g) shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 lb. (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (15 g) chopped parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp. (10 g) salt
- Pinch ground cayenne pepper
- 1 drop black pepper essential oil
- Add the rice, oregano essential oil, and basil essential oil to 2 cups (500 ml) water. Cook the rice over the stovetop or in a rice cooker, and set aside.
- In a frying pan, cook onion in olive oil until softened. Place half of the onion pieces in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Combine marinara sauce, beef broth, crushed red pepper flakes, and balsamic vinegar in the frying pan with the remaining onions. Cook over medium-high heat for 1 minute, then pour sauce mixture into a 9″ × 13″ (23 × 33 cm) baking dish.
- To the large bowl with the onions, add uncooked ground beef, diced tomatoes, garlic, salt, cayenne pepper, parsley, and black pepper essential oil. Stir to combine.
- Add cooked rice and 1 cup parmesan cheese to the meat mixture.
- Cut each bell pepper in half, and remove the seeds. Stuff the peppers tightly with the meat mixture. You can fill them to overflowing, as the meat will shrink when it cooks.
- Place the peppers in the baking dish into the tomato sauce, top with more cheese, cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 375°F (190°C) for 45 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes, or until the meat is no longer pink, peppers are tender, and the cheese is melted and crispy.
- Scoop a pepper half into a bowl, and pour some of the sauce on top.
You can use our marinara sauce if you want the extra essential oil flavor!