Turmeric (Curcuma longa) essential oil is steam distilled from the bright yellow-orange rhizome. (Rhizomes are horizontal, underground stems that sprout both vertical roots and stems to propagate perennial plants.) Turmeric is a pungent herb commonly used to season savory dishes in its native India. The essential oil likewise has a warm, earthy, and spicy aroma. Turmeric properties: analgesic, anticonvulsant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antimutagenic, antioxidant, antitumor, and insecticidal.
Doesn’t everyone secretly love a zombie apocalypse? Then we’ve got the most engaging way to introduce essential oils! Enter Essential Oils & the Zombie Apocalypse: Survival Guide for a World Overrun by the Undead. By the way, the cute cartoon illustrations are G-rated—no gratuitous gore here.
During the scary season, here’s a reassuring way to introduce children (and their parents) to the emotional benefits of essential oils! A suspenseful tale about confronting nighttime terrors shows kids how to use oils for courage, calm, and restful sleep. This engaging booklet includes recipes for diffuser blends, roll-on vials, and misting sprays. A “baby zombie” plush doll with an absorbent diffusing “brain” is sold separately.
This fresh new diffuser blend is amazing! The floral-herbaceous aroma with a light minty overtone is absolutely amazing. This blend is relaxing, calming, and refreshing—really a perfect blend for any day. Diffuse this blend to give the air an uplifting aroma.
Have you ever thought about the bacteria collecting on your yoga mat? Yoga mats tend to be hard to clean; but it needs to be done, so we’ve come up with a simpler way to disinfect your mat while adding the benefits of essential oils to the routine. We’ve put together an antibacterial cleaning spray using essential oils that is sure to leave your mat smelling fresh and clean.
This south-of-the-border-style soup is definitely one of our favorites! It’s creamy, just a little spicy, and simply delicious. The essential oils really round out the ethnic flavor. Who doesn’t appreciate an easy, slow-cooker meal on a busy day? You’ll absolutely love this soup!
[recipe title=”Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup” servings=”6–8″ time=”20 minutes active; 3–7 hours inactive” difficulty=”Easy”]
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (10 oz.) green enchilada sauce
- 1 can (15 oz.) white beans
- 3 cans (15 oz. each) black beans
- 2 cans (4 oz. each) diced, fire-roasted, green chilies
- 1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes (optional)
- 4 tsp. ground chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 tsp. paprika
- 2 drops cumin essential oil
- 2 drops cilantro essential oil
- 1 drop black pepper essential oil
- Toppings: cheese, sour cream, fresh lime, cilantro, etc.
- Place the chicken, chicken broth, enchilada sauce, beans, green chilies, diced tomatoes, seasonings, and essential oils* into a slow cooker. Stir the ingredients together, and cook on high for 3–5 hours or on low for 5–7 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred it using a couple of forks or a hand beater.
- Soften the cream cheese slightly in the microwave. Spoon small chunks into the slow cooker and stir it in. (*For stronger seasoning, stir in the essential oils at this point.)
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker, cover, and cook for 30 minutes more, or until the cream cheese melts in.
- Scoop the soup into bowls, top with sour cream, cheese, lime juice, cilantro, or anything else you desire.
Sometimes you just need a nice hot bath to make things better. These bath melts will enhance your bath by soothing your skin and energizing your body. You’re going to love how you feel!
[recipe title=”Coconut-Citrus Bath Melts” servings=”10-12″ time=”10 minutes active; 1-2 hours inactive” difficulty=”Easy”]
- 1 cup Coconut Oil
- 5 drops lime essential oil
- 5 drops lemon essential oil
- 5 drops orange essential oil
- 5 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 1 Tbsp. zest from any citrus fruit (optional)
- Small silicone molds or ice cube tray
- Using a double boiler, melt the coconut oil over medium heat until liquified.
- Allow the coconut oil to cool momentarily before adding the essential oils.
- Stir the essential oils and the zest into the coconut oil.*
- Pour the mixture evenly into the molds or ice cube tray.
- Refrigerate the bath melts for 1–2 hours or until hardened completely.
- Put a bath melt into your warm bath and allow it to dissolve while you soak.
- Because coconut oil may liquify in a warm room, keep the remaining bath melts in the refrigerator until ready for use.
*You can substitute an floral-herbaceous blend for the citrus oils, if desired, and replace the zest with crushed, dried herbs. Try an essential oil blend of 5 drops geranium, 5 drops lavender, 5 drops lemongrass, and 5 drops rosemary essential oils.
Bergamot (citrus bergamia) essential oil is pressed from the rind, or peel, of this citrus fruit. The oil is clearly recognized by its sweet, lively, citrusy, and fruity aroma. Bergamot properties: analgesic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiparasitic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, digestive, neuroprotective, sedative, and uplifting.
Bergamot essential oil is commonly used to help with agitation, brain injury, colic, depression, emotional stress, environmental stress, infection, mental stress, performance stress, physical energy, physical stress, PMS, and rheumatoid arthritis. This essential oil primarily affects the digestive system, emotional balance, and skin.
Other possible uses of bergamot include acne, anxiety, appetite regulation, boils, bronchitis, carbuncles, cold sores, oily complexion, coughs, cystitis, digestion, eczema, emotions, endocrine system, fever, gallstones, gonorrhea, infectious disease, insect bites, irritated lungs, psoriasis, respiratory infection, scabies, sore throat, nervous tension, thrush, acute tonsillitis, ulcers, urinary tract infection, spot varicose veins, and wounds.
Application and Safety Data
Topical: Bergamot can be applied neat (without dilution). Apply to forehead, temples, reflex points, and/or directly on the area of concern. May also be applied as a deodorant.
Aromatic: Diffuse, or inhale the aroma directly. The scent may help to relieve anxiety, depression, stress, and tension. It is also uplifting and refreshing.
Internal: Bergamot is recognized as safe for human consumption by the FDA. Dilute 1 drop bergamot oil in 1 tsp. of honey or in 4 oz. of beverage.
Safety: Avoid direct sunlight or UV light for 72 hours after topical use. Repeated use may result in extreme contact sensitization.
Ways to Use
1. Diffuser Blends
Bergamot essential oil is a huge hit in diffuser blends not only for its powerful aromatic properties but also because it simply smells wonderful! We have created many amazing diffuser blends with bergamot for you to try. Just click on one below that looks appealing, and start diffusing bergamot today.
Bergamot can be helpful to support a comatose patient. Alternate applying 1 drop frankincense and 1 drop bergamot to the back of the neck, just below the skull, once a day.
Essential oil blends can make beautiful perfumes. We’ve written a post featuring 15 perfume recipes and their health benefits—including several blends containing bergamot. A downloadable file with printable labels is included. Click here to make fabulous fragrances for both women and men.
To add healthful flavor to your fruit or green smoothies, include 1–2 drops of bergamot essential oil. You’ll love the citrus burst and the support for your digestive system.
5. Bath Bombs
Making your own bath bombs means completely customized creations! And you can feel secure knowing that you’re not soaking in any harmful chemicals. Follow this recipe to make simple, luxurious bath bombs! For a stress-relieving and emotionally relaxing bath, add 10 drops bergamot, 10 drops orange, and 3 drops copaiba to the basic bath bomb recipe.
Modern Essentials®: The Complete Guide to the Therapeutic Use of Essential Oils, 9th Edition, pp. 40-41.
With peach season upon us, here’s a way to top off a late-summer cookout with a simple, delectable dessert. Warm, sweet, cinnamon peaches make the perfect complement to savory barbecued dinners. You can also panfry peaches indoors. Since they’re so quick and easy, you’ll make this your go-to dessert for many occasions!
[recipe title=”Grilled Cinnamon Peaches” servings=”4″ time=”10–15 minutes active” difficulty=”Easy”]
- 2 peaches
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. butter, melted
- 1 drop cinnamon essential oil
- vanilla ice cream or yogurt for topping
- In a small bowl, combine the melted butter and cinnamon essential oil, and set aside.
- Slice the peaches in half—leaving the skin on—and remove the pits.
- Brush the melted butter with cinnamon essential oil all over the peach halves. Grill them with flesh side down over medium heat for 2–3 minutes or until browned. You may want to use the cooler edges of the grill if you’ve been barbecuing meat. (Alternately, panfry the peach halves over medium-high heat in the same way.)
- Turn the peach halves face up, and sprinkle the brown sugar over the flesh. Grill for another 2–3 minutes or until the skin is browned and loosened. (If panfrying, cover the pan and cook for another 2–3 minutes or until the sugar caramelizes.)
- Remove peach halves from the heat, and serve with or without the skin—topped with ice cream or yogurt.
Store-bought disinfecting wipes contain harsh chemicals that may do more harm than good. These all-natural wipes are safe for your skin, so you can use them to clean and disinfect your house without worry! You’ll also save money with an effective, convenient, and easy-to-make product. And your home will smell as clean as it looks.
[recipe title=”Natural Disinfecting Wipes” servings=”Yield=100–200 wipes” time=”10–15 minutes active” difficulty=”Easy”]
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Witch Hazel
- 1 Tbsp. Castile Soap
- 8 drops melaleuca essential oil
- 8 drops rosemary essential oil
- 6 drops lemon essential oil
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 roll of paper towels, cut in half
- OmniWipe Container
- “Wipes” Vinyl Label
- In a bowl, combine the water, vinegar, witch hazel, castile soap, and essential oils.
- Cut the roll of paper towels in half, and place half the roll in the OmniWipe container.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the paper towels, making sure to coat evenly.
- Place the lid on the container and tip it back and forth, allowing the liquid to soak into the paper towels.
- Open the container and carefully pull the cardboard center out of the paper towels. (It should be easy to remove once soaked.) Then pull up the center paper towel. Thread it through the hole in the lid for dispensing the wipes. Replace the lid on the container.
- Apply the vinyl label to the side of the wipe container. Click here for instructions.
- Carefully remove a wipe to clean your desired surface.
Depending on the thickness of the paper towel roll, you may need to increase or decrease the amount of water and vinegar so that the wipes are not too wet or dry.