Garbage disposals can become stinky very quickly, especially if any food gets left in the disposal. You can prevent this by turning on your disposal while running cold water every time you finish washing dishes and by using these citrus refreshers often. The best part of using these citrus refreshers is that they leave your kitchen smelling lovely and clean!
[recipe title=”Citrus Garbage Disposal Refreshers” servings=”Makes 16 half rounds” time=”10 minutes active; 12 hours inactive” difficulty=”Easy”]
- 3/4 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 Tbsp. liquid dish soap or Castile Soap
- Zest from 1 lime (optional)
- Juice from 1 lime or lemon
- 3–5 drops lime essential oil
- 8–10 drops lemon essential oil
- Mix the baking soda and salt together in a bowl.
- Stir in the liquid dish soap, lime zest, lime juice, and essential oils. Mix together with hands.The mixture should be a wet sand consistency; if it is not, add a little water until it becomes the right consistency.
- Use a tablespoon to mold the disposal fresheners, and then place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Leave the fresheners to dry overnight, and then place them in a glass jar to store.
When using the disposal fresheners, first place 3–4 ice cubes in the disposal; grind with cold water running to clear the disposal and sharpen the grinders. Then place 1–2 citrus refreshers in the disposal, and let them sit for a couple minutes before grinding with the water running.