Cold cereal is a go-to breakfast for a lot of people. Mango Coconut Granola is an easy way to keep the convenience of breakfast cereal while increasing nutritional value to start your day. You’ll love the tropical flavors enhanced by essential oils in this tasty granola!
[recipe title=”Mango Coconut Granola” servings=”6–8″ time=”20 minutes active; 25 minutes inactive” difficulty=”Moderate”]
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (or substitute 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey)
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup shredded coconut, divided
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup mango nectar* (can substitute peeled, pitted, and pureed fresh mango)
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1–2 drops cinnamon essential oil
- 1 drop ginger essential oil
- 3/4 cup dried mango, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F. and lightly grease a large jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with sides.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, sugar (or substitute), almonds, wheat germ, and 1/2 cup shredded coconut.
- In a small sauce pan, melt coconut oil and maple syrup or honey. Remove from heat and add mango nectar (or fresh mango), vanilla extract, and essential oils. Stir the liquid ingredients in with the dry ingredients and toss well to coat.
- Spread mixture evenly onto prepared pan.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, stirring frequently (every 5–10 minutes), or until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and stir in dried mango and the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded coconut.
- Enjoy dry as a snack, served over Greek yogurt, or in a bowl with milk.
*Note: Mango nectar can be found in flip-top cans in the beverage aisle or refrigerated beverage section of most grocery stores.
Granola also makes a great snack/refreshment in classes and can easily be served in shot glasses.