Many deodorants on the market today are full of harsh chemicals that are doing more damage to our bodies than we think. It is possible to find deodorants that are safer for your body, but they tend to be expensive. We’ve created this all-natural recipe for a deodorant that you can feel good about—for your body and your wallet. You can add whatever oils you want to this recipe to make it your own.
And if your armpits have a hard time adjusting to chemical-free deodorant, we’ve included an armpit detox recipe below.
[recipe title=”DIY Deodorant” servings=”Yield=5 oz.” time=”15 minutes active; 3+ hours inactive” difficulty=”Easy”]
- 4 Tbsp. (50 g) Coconut Oil
- 3 Tbsp. (40 g) Shea Butter
- 3 Tbsp. (25 g arrowroot powder
- 3 Tbsp. (15 g) Beeswax
- 2 Tbsp. (25 g) baking soda
- 20–40 drops essential oil
- 2.65 oz. Deodorant Containers (2)
- Melt the beeswax by placing it in a glass measuring cup in a pot of water over medium heat.
- Once the beeswax is almost melted, add in the shea butter and coconut oil, and allow it to finish melting.
- Remove the mixture from the heat, and stir in the arrowroot powder and baking soda.
- Add 20–40 drops of your favorite essential oil or blend, and stir well to combine. (Start with 20 drops, and gradually add more until the deodorant reaches your desired scent.)
- Before the mixture solidifies, pour it into the deodorant containers.
- Allow the deodorant to cool for several hours or until solid and completely cooled.
Make “his” and “hers” deodorant by splitting the mixture in half and adding manly oils for him and feminine oils for her.
A blend that we tried and loved was 20 drops grapefruit plus 15 drops lemon. Let us know what blends you come up with!
It’s important to remember that sometimes your body can have a hard time making the switch from a conventional deodorant to an all-natural kind. If you use your natural deodorant and your armpits become smelly or you get a rash, you may need to do an armpit detox to clean the chemicals from your skin. Here’s a simple recipe to get your armpits clean!
[recipe title=”Armpit Detox” servings=”1″ time=”2 minutes active; 5–15 minutes inactive” difficulty=”Easy”]
- 1 Tbsp. (9 g) bentonite clay
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) apple cider vinegar
- Water (optional)
- Aloe vera gel (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the bentonite clay with the apple cider vinegar to form a paste. If it’s not a paste, you can add a small amount of water to give it a spreadable consistency.
- Spread the mixture on your armpits, and let it sit for 5–10 minutes.
- Wash off the detox with a damp cloth, or rinse off in the shower.
- Once you finish removing the paste, if desired, you can apply a small amount of aloe vera gel to soothe the skin.
Like any other detox, make sure to drink lots of water to help your body detox faster.
You may need to do the detox multiple times to get the full effect.