This creamy vegetarian soup is packed with nutrients and flavor! In fact, you’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven—it’s that good! It got rave reviews from the many people who tested this recipe in preparation for this post. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Artichoke Portobello Soup
- 1/2 cup (113 g) butter
- 1/2 cup (80 g) onion, diced (or green onions)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 portobello mushrooms, chopped (or 6 crimini mushrooms)
- 3 Tbsp. (23 g) flour
- 4 cups (1 liter) chicken broth
- 1 jar (4–6 oz.) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp. (220 mg) cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (240 ml) heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- 1 drop thyme essential oil
- 1 drop oregano essential oil
- 1 drop black pepper essential oil
- Place butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, and allow it to melt a little. Add onion, carrots, and celery; sauté until the vegetables start to caramelize.
- Add chopped mushrooms, sauté 3–4 more minutes, and then sprinkle with flour and stir for 1–2 minutes to allow the flour to cook in the butter. Add broth, artichokes, bay leaf, and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 15–20 minutes.
- Scoop soup into a blender, and pulse 5–10 times (this step can be skipped if you like larger chunks in your soup).
- Pour the soup back into the large saucepan, and stir in the heavy cream, salt, and essential oils. Cook 3–5 minutes, or until slightly thickened and heated through.