This hair pomade works great for styling short hair! It is made from beeswax, shea butter or cocoa butter, and jojoba oil (which is technically a wax), so it’s thick enough to hold hair effectively. Though this product has been formulated to use on hair as a pomade, it is extremely versatile and could also be used as an eyebrow smoother, lotion or hand cream, and even lip balm.
Here are a few essential oil suggestions for hair care from Modern Essentials:
Normal Hair: Roman chamomile, lavender, clary sage, thyme, rosemary, cedarwood, lemon, cypress.
Dry Hair: geranium, sandalwood, lavender, rosemary, wintergreen.
Fragile Hair: clary sage, lavender, thyme, sandalwood, wintergreen, Roman chamomile.
Greasy/Oily Hair: basil, cypress, thyme, lemon, rosemary, petitgrain, peppermint.
Hair Growth: thyme, lavender, rosemary, ylang ylang, cedarwood, clary sage, ginger, lemon, grapefruit.
Hair Loss: rosemary, lavender, thyme, ylang ylang, cedarwood, wintergreen, lemon, clary sage, cypress, Roman chamomile.
Dandruff: lavender, wintergreen, cypress, rosemary, cedarwood, thyme.
Because this pomade is versatile enough to be used as lip balm or lotion as well, here are some of the essential oil recommendations for that purpose:
Hand Care: geranium, lemon, lemongrass, sandalwood, rosemary, eucalyptus.
Skin Care: helichrysum, juniper berry, Roman chamomile, thyme, geranium, arborvitae, melaleuca, lavender, patchouli, sandalwood, lemon, bergamot, rosemary.
Lip Care: lavender, melaleuca, lemon, geranium.
If you want to use this pomade for hair, skin, and lips, it is possible to use a combination that works for all.
Try any of these essential oil combinations in your hair pomade:
- 3 drops lime + 2 drops peppermint + 2 drops rosemary + 1 drop lavender (This is the one we used, and it smells great!)
- 6 drops grapefruit + 2 drops rosemary
- 5 drops lime (can lighten light hair)
- 4 drops Roman chamomile + 3 drops ylang ylang
- 2 drops lemon + 2 drops rosemary + 2 drops cedarwood + 2 drops peppermint
- 3 drops clary sage + 2 drops ylang ylang + 3 drops lavender + 2 drops rosemary
- 3 drops rosemary + 3 drops geranium + 3 drops lavender
- 4 drops lavender + 4 drops clary sage
- 4 drops clary sage + 3 drops rosemary
- 4 drops lavender + 4 drops cedarwood
- 6 drops Roman chamomile + 2 drops lemon (can lighten light hair)
- 3 drops bergamot + 3 drops cypress + 3 drops lavender
- 4 drops rosemary + 3 drops eucalyptus or melaleuca (helps with dandruff)
- 4 drops lavender + 3 drops geranium (a good all-purpose combination)