One of the most helpful things for a sore throat is a spoonful of honey! A couple years ago we posted a recipe for Soothing Throat Lozenges, and we thought we could adapt the recipe a little to make it suitable for children. The result? Honey Suckers.
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) honey
- 1 Tbsp. (12 g) coconut oil
- 2–3 drops essential oil (good oils to use include lemon, lime, or orange)
- Candy thermometer
- Silicone sucker mold with sticks or parchment paper and popsicle sticks
- If you don’t have a silicone sucker mold, place a sheet of parchment paper on the counter, then place popsicle sticks a couple inches apart on the sheet. You’ll need about 30–40 popsicle sticks.
- Place honey and coconut oil in a pot. Bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, reduce heat and simmer.
- Using a candy thermometer, allow the mixture to reach a temperature of 300°F (150°C), and then remove the mixture from the stove.
- Stir in essential oils.
- Pour the mixture into sucker molds, or drop spoonfuls on parchment paper over the popsicle sticks. You will need to work fast, since the mixture hardens quickly and will become hard to pour.
- Allow the suckers to harden (you can stick the sucker mold in the refrigerator for an hour). Cut strips of parchment paper, and fold them over the suckers to keep them from sticking together. Store in the refrigerator.