It’s always fun to enjoy a movie night when curled up with a bowl of yummy popcorn! But, have you tried taking your popcorn to the next level by flavoring it with essential oils? Now is the time to give it a try! We’ve compiled a few different flavor options that all taste fantastic!
Are you still looking for a good Father’s Day gift? Why not make your dad a snack that is easily customizable to his preferences? Try out this healthier version of flavored popcorn and soda pop! You can even print out these darling tags to attach to your gift.
Basic Popcorn with Essential Oil Flavor Ideas
- 1/2 cup of unpopped popcorn (12–16 cups popped popcorn)
- 1/8–1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 3–6 drops essential oil of your choice
- Sweetener such as honey or maple syrup to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pop popcorn kernels, and then place popped popcorn in a large bowl or brown paper bag.
- Heat coconut oil and sweetener over low heat until well combined and liquified. Remove from heat, and let cool for a couple minutes. Stir in essentials oils.
- Pour coconut oil mixture over popcorn, and stir or shake to combine.
- Add salt to taste.
- Coconut-Lime: 4–5 drops lime essential oil, 1–2 Tbs. honey, and salt to taste.
- Sweet Spice: 3–4 drops Protective Blend (can replace with 2 drops clove and 2 drops orange essential oil) and 2 drops cinnamon essential oil with 2 Tbs. maple syrup.
- White Chocolate–Peppermint: 4–6 drops peppermint essential oil and melted white chocolate.
- Lemon & Browned Butter: Brown 6 Tbs. butter (instead of coconut oil) in a saucepan; add 2–4 drops lemon essential oil.
- Parmesan–Rosemary: 1/2 cup grated parmesan, 3 Tbs. olive oil (instead of coconut oil), 2 tsp. salt, and 1 drop of rosemary essential oil. Mix olive oil and rosemary essential oil; add to popcorn, and then shake to coat. Slowly add the parmesan and salt while shaking the popcorn.
- Garlic & Herbs: 4 Tbs. melted butter (instead of coconut oil), 1–2 toothpicks each of rosemary and thyme essential oils, garlic powder (or finely chopped garlic lightly cooked in butter), and parsley flakes. Mix melted butter and essential oil; add to popcorn, and shake to coat. Slowly add garlic powder and parsley flakes while shaking the popcorn.
- Throw in some other food items such as coconut flakes, cinnamon powder, sugar, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, slivered almonds, sesame seeds, bacon, etc.
- Package in a resealable container such as this 16 oz. PET Jar or a mason jar, and attach one of these awesome tags with string or ribbon.
Sometimes, a refreshing drink makes the perfect combination with popcorn. Here is a basic limeade soda recipe with ideas of ways to adjust the flavor to your preference. Just pour the soda into a glass bottle or cup, add a stainless steel drinking straw, and decorate with these labels.
Basic Sparkling Limeade with Flavor Variations
- 1/2 cup lime juice (from about 3–4 limes; add water to reach 1/2 cup if needed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1–2 drops lime essential oil
- Chilled sparkling water or club soda (Regular water works well if you don’t like carbonation.)
- Stir the lime juice in with the sugar in a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Lower the heat, and cook (stirring frequently) until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat, and pour into a glass dish.
- Add lime essential oil. Cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
- Mix about 2 Tbs. of limeade concentrate with 8 oz. of chilled sparkling water in a glass cup. Taste, and add more water if you want a lighter flavor.
- Serve with ice.
- Basil Limeade: Add 1 toothpick of basil essential oil with the lime essential oil, and use basil leaves for garnish.
- Rosemary Limeade: Add 1 toothpick of rosemary essential oil with the lime essential oil, and use fresh sprigs of rosemary for garnish.
- Basic Lemonade: Use 1/2 cup of lemon juice and 1–2 drops lemon essential oil instead of the lime juice and lime essential oil.
- Rosemary Citrus Spritzer: Use 1/2 cup of lemon juice or 1/4 cup each of lemon and orange juice with 1–2 drops of lemon essential oil instead of the lime juice and lime essential oil. Add 1 toothpick of rosemary essential oil when adding the lemon essential oil. Garnish with fresh sprigs of rosemary.
- Strawberry Basil Soda: Juice or blend 1/2 lb of strawberries. Strain out seeds and pulp. You should have 1/2 cup of strawberry juice. Add juice from 1/2 a lemon. Use strawberry lemon juice instead of the lime juice in the recipe, and use just 1 toothpick of basil essential oil instead of the lime essential oil.
- Use mint leaves as a garnish to add a subtle flavor of mint.
- Use frozen berries instead of ice cubes and garnish.
- Try substituting liquid stevia for the sugar to make it healthier. No need to heat it up either—just mix and serve.