These coconut oil tablets are simple to put together and make oil pulling easy—just pop one in your mouth, and swish around for 5–20+ minutes. When finished, spit out in the trash (not in a sink, as coconut oil can clog pipes).
Oil pulling is said to reduce plaque and may prevent cavities. Coconut oil is naturally antibacterial and can help freshen your breath by killing the bacteria that causes halitosis (and cavities). Oil pulling gets its name because as you swish, you are pulling the oil through your teeth so it can reach even the hard-to-get spots that often develop cavities. Oil pulling expert Bruce Fife says that to maximize the benefits of oil pulling, it’s best to swish the coconut oil for 20 minutes. Even if you only use these as a mouthwash (and swish for only 5 minutes), you’ll still get a lot of benefits to your oral health from these little tablets.
[recipe title=”Coconut Oil Tablets” time=”2 minutes active; 15 minutes inactive” difficulty=”Easy”]
Ingredients & Supplies:
- Coconut Oil
- Essential Oil(s) of choice (see recommendations below)
- Candy mold or small ice cube tray
- Place 1–3 tsp. (4–12 g) of coconut oil in each section of your mold or ice cube tray.
- Add 1–2 drops of essential oil per 1 tsp. (4 g) of coconut oil to each section. Use a toothpick or spoon to stir the oils together. Note: If you have a favorite oil or oil combination, you can simplify the process by melting down 1/2 cup (96 g) coconut oil and adding 20–40 drops of essential oil. Then pour or scoop the oil into the molds.
- Place the coconut oil tablets in the refrigerator to solidify.
- To use, pull out a coconut oil tablet from the refrigerator, place in mouth, and swish around for 5–20+ minutes. When done, spit the oil into the trash. Note: If you don’t like the feeling of oil on your teeth when you are done, try rinsing your mouth with a little salt water.
Essential Oil Suggestions:
Any of the following oils (or a combination) can be used for everyday oil pulling: lemon, orange, grapefruit, peppermint, or spearmint.
Any of the following oils (or a combination) can be used for oil pulling when battling a sickness or infection: clove, cinnamon, tea tree, or Protective Blend.