Here’s a fun new recipe to spice up your cookbook! Serve it at the next family barbecue or over a simple dinner at home. Who doesn’t love grilled pork? And lemongrass essential oil adds an amazing flavor to it, so you can’t go wrong with this one. But we’ll warn you—make it once, and your family will be hooked!
[recipe title=”Vietnamese Lemongrass Pork” servings=”6–8″ time=”30 minutes active; 24 hours inactive” difficulty=”Moderate”]
- 1 1/2 lbs. (800 g) pork shoulder
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) honey
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fish sauce
- 3 Tbsp. (45 ml) cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp. (500 mg) black pepper
- 3–4 drops lemongrass essential oil
- Salt (to taste)
- Extra honey (for grilling)
- Slice the pork into 1/2″ (1 cm) thick pieces, and set aside.
- Place the garlic cloves and onions in a food processor, and pulse on high until finely chopped.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and blend again until the mixture forms a paste.
- Place the pieces of meat and the marinade in a plastic zip-top bag or a bowl. Mash the bag around, making sure the meat gets completely covered in marinade, and set in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Remove from the fridge, and grill over high heat in a greased pan for 3–4 minutes on each side.
- Dip each piece in honey, and grill again for about 2 minutes on each side.
- Sprinkle with salt if desired, and serve hot!
This recipe is great for outdoor grilling, and the flavor is further enhanced when cooked over a charcoal barbecue.