This Easter, add essential oil–scented play dough to your kids’ Easter baskets for a great sensory experience and hours of fun.
Scented Easter Play Dough
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 Tbs. cream of tarter
- 1 Tbs. oil
- 1 cup water
- Food coloring
- Essential oil
- 4 oz. Salve Jars
- Mix 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup salt, 2 tablespoons cream of tarter, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1 cup water in a medium-sized pot until well blended.
- While stirring continuously, cook the mixture in the pot over medium-low heat until it forms a thick dough that is no longer sticky (approximately 5 minutes). You can tell it is done when it no longer sticks to the sides of the pan but forms a clump of dough in the middle of the pan.
- Remove the dough from the pan and place on waxed-paper. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into four equal pieces.
- For each of the four pieces of dough, add approximately 10 drops of different colored food coloring, and knead until the color is well blended into the dough.
- Add approximately 8–10 drops of different essential oils or blends (choose oils that are safe for children) to each of the four pieces of dough and knead for about 60 seconds. If you find the scent of the dough is not strong enough, add a few more drops of the essential oil or blend. (*Helpful hint: to make sure both the food coloring and the essential oil or blend stay in the dough and don’t drip off, create a well in the top of the piece of dough with your finger, drop the coloring or oil in the well, fold the dough so it closes over the well opening, and then continue to knead the dough as normal.)
- Store each piece of dough in a 4 oz. salve container, ziplock bag, or other air-tight container.