Are you looking for a great way to incorporate your cilantro and cumin essential oils into a fantastic protein-packed dinner? This casserole is so delicious you won’t even miss the chicken or tortillas!
Black Bean Quinoa Enchilada Casserole
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–2 sweet peppers (red, orange, yellow, or green), seeds removed and diced
- 1 can sweet corn (15 oz. size) or 1 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 drop cumin essential oil
- 1 drop cilantro essential oil
- 1 drop lime essential oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed (15 oz. size)
- 1 can red enchilada sauce (20 oz. size; approximately 2 cups)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese and 1 cup mozzarella cheese, mixed and shredded (or 2 cups Mexican cheese)
- Additional toppings: sour cream, sliced avocado, green onions, or cilantro (optional)
- Place water and quinoa in a small pot, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork, and continue cooking for 5 more minutes or until the quinoa has absorbed all the water.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add diced onion, and sauté until softened. Add garlic and peppers. Cook for 3–4 more minutes.
- Add corn, lime juice, chili powder, essential oils, and cilantro. Stir to combine, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in quinoa, black beans, enchilada sauce, and 1/2 cup shredded cheese mixture until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the mixture into a greased 9×13 casserole dish. Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil. Bake for 20 minutes, and then remove foil and continue baking until cheese is melted and edges are bubbling.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with additional toppings, if desired.
Note: Another great way to cook the quinoa is to place 1 cup of quinoa and 1 3/4 cups water in a pressure cooker and cook on high for 7 minutes. Once done, release pressure and set aside (do not remove lid) until the rest of the enchilada mixture is done.