If you sell essential oils, you’ve probably heard the word “compliance” a lot lately. This refers to the issue of marketing essential oils and other supplements without making health claims or unsubstantiated marketing claims about essential oil products. Because of a fear of being “non-compliant,” though, many have forgotten about the importance of becoming educated on the safe and effective use of essential oils. As the most trusted independent third-party resource for both essential oil educational resources and marketing tools, AromaTools™ is here to help you in both areas.
AromaTools™ and Essential Oil Education
AromaTools™ is a bookstore and independent publisher of educational materials and marketing tools.
- AromaTools™ publishes and sells educational books, materials, and research on essential oils and other health topics. We do not sell essential oils and are truly an independent third-party in that industry.
- The founders of AromaTools™ have successfully used essential oils to help manage their own health and the health and wellness of their family for over two decades. They are passionate about helping everyone understand how to safely and effectively use essential oils to better their own lives.
- Our first priority at AromaTools™ is to help individuals discover the many ways essential oils are being used to help support health and wellness and learn about the research that is being done to support these uses. While many uses of essential oils are based on historical and traditional knowledge and the experiences of experts in
the essential oil field, we are always seeking to discover and promote those uses which are backed by modern scientific research.
- To help educate individuals about essential oils, AromaTools™ began publishing Modern Essentials™ in 2009.
- Modern Essentials™ remains the top educational resource available today on the safe and effective use of therapeutic-grade essential oils.
- In the space of just six years, AromaTools™ has translated Modern Essentials™ into 8 different languages to help educate millions of individuals around the world about essential oils.
- AromaTools™ is constantly searching for the best educational resources and information to make available to those who are passionate about using essential oils to support their own health and wellness.
AromaTools™ and Marketing
Closely tied to our mission to provide the best educational materials available is our mission to provide tools to help those who share essential oils with others to be successful.
- To support those actively sharing essential oils, AromaTools™ carries hundreds of bottles, sampling tools, labels, carrying cases, branded gear and swag, and business-building resources, as well as brochures, pamphlets, and tear pads with language approved for marketing a specific brand of essential oils.
- Since essential oils are supplements, specific brands of essential oils should only be marketed or sold using proper structure-function claims that indicate how a particular essential oil may help support the overall health of a body system, structure, or function.
- Several Modern Essentials™ tools are available with language approved for marketing essential oils. Click here to see available marketing materials.
Education, Marketing, and You FAQs
Can I use educational resources for personal study, even if they contain uses and information that aren’t considered “compliant” for marketing purposes?
Absolutely! Educating yourself about essential oils is the key to safely and effectively using them to support your own health and the health of your family. Always use and refer others to the best educational resources available, starting with Modern Essentials™!
Can I use educational resources to market my favorite brand of essential oils?
While you can refer people to research articles and other educational resources to learn about the uses of essential oils and research being done on essential oils, it would be improper to use these articles or resources to make health claims or to promote the use of a specific brand of essential oils.
How do I keep education and marketing separate?
Always use and refer people to the best educational resources available, like Modern Essentials™, so that they can learn more about essential oils (just as you would read and refer someone to a book or published research article on vitamin D to learn more about how vitamin D benefits the body).
When you are selling a specific brand of essential oils to a group or individual, however, only marketing-approved language and materials should be used. Educational books and research articles should not be used during the selling process, as this has been construed by regulatory agents as making health claims about a specific brand of essential oils. For more tips on maintaining this separation, click here.
Look for the education and marketing icons on our website and in our store to help you identify which items are marketing tools with language approved for marketing essential oils and which are educational resources that can help you and those you know learn about essential oils.
Individuals should learn all they can about essential oils in order to safely and effectively use them to benefit their health. When I’m marketing my favorite brand of essential oils, how can I refer others to educational materials about essential oils and still be compliant?
You should never use educational materials to make claims about a product you are selling, but you are free to recommend others to educational resources that they can use to understand the science, safety, and uses of essential oils. For example, you could use the following:
“If you want to learn more about essential oils, I would recommend that you…
- Search for scientific research articles on a specific essential oil. Try online resources such as PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed) to search for articles.
- Find a great book on essential oils at a bookstore like aromatools.com.
- A great book should
- discuss what essential oils are and where they come from,
- teach how to safely use essential oils,
- discuss how essential oils are often used,
- and indicate which essential oil uses are backed by scientific research.”
- A great book should