Does your hair get dry and brittle, especially after long days in the sun? Sometimes our hair just needs a deep conditioning serum to help it retain moisture and stay healthy. According to Modern Essentials™, the essential oils in this recipe are often used to help with dry, fragile hair and may even help stimulate hair growth. Leave the conditioning serum in for as little as 15 minutes or as long as all night before shampooing your hair. You can even make it into a spray to help protect your hair from the sun’s rays during the day (see extra idea below).
Hair Conditioning Serum
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. (23 ml) Sweet Almond Oil
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Tbsp. (8 ml) Vegetable Glycerin
- 4 drops lavender essential oil
- 3 drops rosemary essential oil
- 3 drops wintergreen essential oil
- 2 drops clary sage essential oil
- 2 oz. Plastic Bottle with Snap Top
- Add all ingredients to the 2 oz. plastic bottle. Shake to combine.
- To use, squirt a little (about 1/4 tsp. or 1–2 ml) of the oil into the palm of your hand, and massage through your hair using your fingers. Work from the ends of your hair up to the roots.
- Leave on over night (or at least for 15 minutes) before shampooing your hair. Cover your pillow with a towel to protect your pillowcase and sheets if needed.
- Apply 1–2 times a month or when your hair is feeling dry and brittle.
- Use this recipe to create a leave-in spray conditioner for protecting your hair from damage due to the hot summer sun or cold winter days. To do this, simply place 1 tsp. (5 ml) of this conditioning serum in a 2 oz. Spray Bottle, and fill the remainder with water. Shake well with each use, and spray hair (avoiding the roots) as needed.
Source: Modern Essentials™, 7th Edition, pp. 315–16.