Enjoy this refreshing drink as you bask in the sunshine this summer!
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) lime juice (from about 3–4 limes; add water to reach 1/2 cup if needed)
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1–2 drops lime essential oil
- Chilled sparkling water or club soda (regular water also works if you don’t like carbonation)
- Stir the lime juice in with the sugar in a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Lower the heat, and cook, stirring frequently, until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat, and pour into a glass dish.
- Add lime essential oil. Cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
- Mix about 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) of the limeade concentrate with 1 cup (240 ml) of chilled sparkling water in a glass cup. Taste, and add more water if you want a lighter flavor.
- Serve with ice.
- Basil Limeade: Add 1 toothpick of basil essential oil with the lime essential oil, and use basil leaves for garnish.
- Rosemary Limeade: Add 1 toothpick of rosemary essential oil with the lime essential oil, and use fresh sprigs of rosemary for garnish.
Note: The essential oil flavor will get stronger the longer the limeade sits. Add the basil or rosemary essential oil right before serving.
- Use frozen berries instead of ice cubes and garnish.
- Try substituting liquid stevia for the sugar to make it healthier. No need to heat it up either—just mix and serve.