Enjoy the benefits of the lime and cilantro essential oils in this vegetarian burrito! Now is also the perfect time to enjoy a new dish using your summer squash!
Veggie Burritos with Essential Oils
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) olive oil
- 2 cups (370 g) white rice
- 4 cups (960 ml) chicken broth
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 drops lime essential oil
- 1/4 cup (4 g) chopped cilantro
- 2 toothpicks cilantro essential oil
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 medium zucchinis, diced
- 1 medium yellow squash, diced
- 2 cups (300 g) corn
- Salt to taste
- 1 can (15 oz./425 g) seasoned black beans
- 6 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- Toppings: chopped onions, diced tomatoes, grated cheese, salsa, sour cream, guacamole (or plain avocado), cilantro, etc.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice, and stir around for 2 minutes. Pour in chicken broth, 1/2 of the lime juice, and 1 drop of lime essential oil. Bring to a boil; then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20–25 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the remaining lime juice, 1 drop of lime essential oil, cilantro leaves, and 2 toothpicks of cilantro essential oil. Set aside.
- While the rice is cooking, place 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil in a heavy skillet, and sauté the zucchini, squash, and corn over medium-high heat. Add salt while sautéing. Remove when the veggies have brightened in color. Set aside.
- Heat the beans in a small saucepan until hot.
- Warm tortillas, if desired.
- To assemble the burritos, lay each tortilla flat, and add the rice, veggies, beans, and desired toppings. Roll the burrito up, and enjoy a fresh, healthy, and delicious meal!