We all know that essential oils have incredible effects on humans, but we can’t overlook the benefits they bring to our animals. In many cases, pets are our best friends, so they deserve to be taken care of in the same way we take care of ourselves. We’ve done some research so that you can know how to appropriately use oils on your pets without putting them in danger.
Guidelines of Essential Oil Pet Care:
- Animals absorb essential oils much faster than humans, so you should never use more than 1–2 drops of oil at a time.
- Dilute your essential oils heavily with a carrier oil. Typically a 1:4 dilution (1 part essential oil to 4 parts carrier oil) is a safe option while you are learning more about appropriate and safe use.
- Never use melaleuca on cats, and consult a veterinarian before using this oil on dogs.
- Keep oils away from your animal’s eyes, mouth, nose, or other sensitive areas, unless specifically directed.
- Use all oils in moderation and with extreme caution, and observe how the animal responds before continuing. If your pet gets uncomfortable, stop immediately.
- Do not use citrus oils on cats.
- Avoid using essential oils on puppies, unless instructed otherwise by your veterinarian.
- Pay attention to how your pet reacts when you diffuse essential oils. Even though you are not directly applying the oils to your pets, the very aroma of oils could be too much for your pet. Consider diffusing smaller amounts of oils when your pets are around.
- Don’t use essential oils too often on your pets. Continual use of essential oils on or around pets can cause toxicity, so it’s important to free your home of essential oils for a couple days at a time to give your pets a break.
The information listed here is just scratching the surface. There is a whole world of information out there for using essential oils safely on your pets. Lucky for you, we have gathered a wide range of materials to help you learn more about proper animal care and essential oils! We carry tear pads, books, recipes, and reference cards that contain more specific research on different animals. Click here to view these materials so that you can research for yourself and find out what works best for your pets.
Every animal is different, so it really is up to you as the owner to make educated decisions about how to use oils with your pets—after all, you know them better than anyone else. A general rule of thumb is to be very careful when applying oils. Start with small doses and an extremely high dilution, and work from there.
Here at AromaTools, we like to take care of you and your pets. Have you seen our cute dog collar and diffuser pendant? This lavender-colored, nylon dog collar sports a running motif of paws, bones, and essential oil vials—a fun way to share your love of oils through your pet! The collar is available in adjustable small, medium, and large sizes. A loop on the collar makes it easy to attach our matching dog leash and diffuser pendant. Using aromatherapy with your pet has never been easier! The durable pendant ventilates through its paw-print cutout, providing continual therapeutic benefits. The locket comes with 6 colorful, reusable scent pads—you can change aromas and the background color of the design.
We have also come up with a few other blog posts to help you and your furry friends! Give our Essential Oil Pet Shampoo a try; there’s nothing like cleaning your pet without harsh chemicals. Or you can try out this recipe to make a Homemade Flea Collar using essential oils. Give these recipes a click and try them out!
Diffuser blends can be a great way to expose your pets to essential oils, but remember to follow the guidelines stated above. Here are a few pet-friendly diffuser blends that we have made to help your pets relax. Diffuse these blends in a well-ventilated space with a way for your pets to leave the room if their senses get overwhelmed. Let us know what you think after you try these blends out!
We have written multiple blog posts on this topic that you may be interested in reading. Click on some of the following posts to learn more specifically about what you can do to further enhance your use of essential oils with pets.
- SpOIL Your Pet with Essential Oils
- Pet Shampoo with Essential Oils
- See Modern Essentials: Essential Oils for Animal Care
- Pet Odor Spray
We are still learning about using oils with our pets, just like you are, so we’d love to hear about your experiences and what you’ve learned! Please consult your veterinarian if you have any questions or concerns. See Modern Essentials: The Complete Guide to the Therapeutic Use of Essential Oils for more information about using essential oils on animals.