You’ll love this lemon blueberry cake as a breakfast, snack, or dessert for the whole family. Lemon essential oil adds a nice tangy touch.
Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- 2 c. flour, divided
- 2 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1/4 c. coarse sugar (or to taste) for topping
- 1/2 c. buttermilk*
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. salt
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- Cream the butter and granulated sugar together in a medium bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and lemon essential oil. Mix until well combined, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with 1/4 c. of the flour. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the remaining 1 3/4 c. flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add half of the dry mixture to the wet mixture, and stir to combine.
- Stir in the buttermilk. Then add remaining dry mixture, and combine.
- Fold the blueberries into the batter, leaving the excess flour behind. (Batter will be very thick.)
- Spread the batter into a greased 8- or 9-inch square baking dish, and sprinkle the top with coarse sugar as desired.
- Bake at 350° for 35–45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10–15 minutes before serving.