These cute little hand and foot warmers are easy to make and a good way to use up fabric scraps. If you don’t have any fabric scraps, you can pick up the last bits from a roll at a fabric store for very little money.
Not only can these warm up your hands and feet, but if you add essential oils, you can turn them into personal diffusers and customize the scent according to your needs.
Try gifting the hand and foot warmers along with a small sample bottle of oil for refreshing the scent.
[recipe title=”Hand and Foot Warmers” time=”5–10 minutes” difficulty=”Easy”]
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 3″–4″ (7.5–10 cm) fleece squares
- 1 1/2″ × 2″ (3 3/4 × 5 cm) fleece pieces for pocket (optional)
- Needle and thread or sewing machine
- Rice or whole flax seeds
- Essential oils of choice
- Small Aroma Pads (optional)
- Sew a 1 1/2″ x 2″ (3 3/4 × 5 cm) piece of fleece to the center of one of the fleece squares to make a little pocket. You’ll want to attach it to the square on three sides and leave one side open (you’ll be inserting the small aroma pad in this pocket to customize your scent).
- Now take another fleece square that is the same size as the one you sewed the pocket to, and put them together with the pocket side on the outside. Sew these squares together on 3 sides (leave one side open). Note: when you start or end sewing, reverse directions after 10 stitches or so to reinforce the area and prevent it from coming unstitched.
- Fill the fleece warmer with rice or whole flax seeds (until 2/3 full—leave enough space to sew the remaining side without rice getting in the way). Add 3–5 drops essential oil to the rice or whole flax seeds (optional, but this helps cover the musty scent of the rice).
- Once the rice or whole flax seeds are in, sew up the remaining side.
- To use, simply pop your warmers in the microwave for 30 seconds or until pretty warm (but not hot!). Add a few drops of essential oil to the aroma pad, and place it in the little fleece pocket. Use to keep your hands or feet warm by holding them or placing them in mittens or socks. They should stay warm for about 15–20 minutes.
- Use pinking shears to cut your squares to give them a decorative finish.
- If you don’t want to sew a pocket for the aroma pad, you can always add your 3–5 drops of essential oil to the rice, then add additional scent directly to the fleece (just avoid citrus essential oils if putting oil directly on the fleece).