If you are a big hunter, you probably know that deer (and other game) have a stronger sense of smell than humans. In fact, a deer’s sense of smell is even greater than a dog’s sense of smell. So if you plan on hunting this season, give this scent-masking spray a try. This spray works best if you use an odorless carrier oil (such as fractionated coconut oil or jojoba oil) and essential oils from plants that naturally grow in the area you will be in.
[recipe title=”Hunting Scent-Masking Spray” time=”2 minutes active; 8+ hours inactive” difficulty=”Easy”]
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 20 drops essential oil (see recommendations below)
- 2 oz. (60 ml) Fractionated Coconut Oil (Jojoba Oil and Sweet Almond Oil may also work.)
- 2 oz. Bottle with Trigger Spray
- Place essential oils and carrier oil in the spray bottle. Screw the lid on tight, and shake to combine. Let sit overnight to allow the essential oils to infuse the carrier oil.
- To use, spray all over skin, hair, clothes, etc., and rub in as much as possible. Reapply as necessary. It also never hurts to stay downwind of your game.
Essential Oil Recommendations:
Cedarwood, fir, pine, spruce, cypress, vetiver, juniper berry, anise, and fennel (anise attracts deer, and fennel has a similar scent to anise) or other woody-scented oils. Choose scents that are common to the area.
- The oils in this spray may stain clothing.
- Because this spray is all oil, the trigger spray tops tend to work better than the misting spray tops.