It’s almost St. Patrick’s Day, and if you’re like us, you’re looking for fun, healthy treats. We all have a sweet tooth sometimes, but we don’t want to eat too much sugar! If you can relate, this recipe is perfect for you. These almond flour cookies don’t use any grain, and the sweetener is just honey—no refined sugar! These cookies are yummy, but not so sweet that they leave you feeling sick. These are cookies you can feel good about feeding your kids! Add the Lime Frosting to the cookies to increase their flavor—and add the health benefits of lime essential oil. You can even dye the frosting green to kick off St. Patrick’s Day!
[recipe title=”Almond Thumbprint Cookies” servings=”18″ time=”20 minutes active; 1 hour inactive” difficulty=”Easy”]
- 2 1/4 cups (215 g) blanched almond flour
- 1/2 tsp. (2 g) baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) vanilla
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) honey
- 4 Tbsp. (57 g) butter, softened
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and stir until combined completely.
- Cover the bowl, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Once the dough is chilled, use a cookie scoop or a tablespoon to form the dough into balls, and place on a cookie sheet.
- Using your thumb, make a dent in the center of each cookie, being careful not to poke entirely through.
- Bake for 9–11 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, and immediately press the dents back down using a teaspoon.
- Allow the cookies to completely cool before filling each hole with Lime Frosting (recipe below).
If you don’t want to use the Lime Frosting, you can also fill the holes with some jam for a fun, fruity dessert.
[recipe title=”Lime Frosting” servings=”Yield=8 oz. (250 ml)” time=”5 minutes” difficulty=”Easy”]
- 8 oz. (225 g) cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp. (45 ml) honey
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) vanilla
- 1–2 tsp. (5–10 ml) milk
- 8–10 drops lime essential oil
- Green food coloring or spinach powder (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, honey, and vanilla.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the frosting on medium speed.
- Slowly add in the milk until the desired consistency is reached.
- Add the lime oil and food coloring.
For easier use, place the frosting in a small zip-top bag, and cut the corner off. Squeeze the frosting through the corner of the bag to frost the cookies!