Protect your skin naturally while out in the summer sun with this all-natural homemade sunscreen. It is easy to make and looks and feels just like store-bought sunscreen! Your family won’t know the difference, but you will feel better knowing what you are putting on your children’s skin! A few things to know about this sunscreen:
This sunscreen has an SPF of 20+ because the zinc oxide has an SPF of 20, the coconut oil has an SPF of 4, and the essential oils used in this recipe are also beneficial for protecting against the sun’s rays.
It may need to be reapplied every hour or so, especially during water play. The beeswax in this recipe does help it be a little waterproof, but stay on the safe side and reapply fairly often.
Even though it looks like it goes on pretty white in the above picture, it doesn’t stay that way. Just rub it on the skin, spreading it all over, and after a minute or so it will melt and disappear.
This sunscreen will last through the summer—possibly even 2 summers depending on how fresh your ingredients are.
Mothers are always worrying about keeping their families healthy. Adding essential oils to your mommy routine is a great way to do that! Here are some of our suggestions:
1. Essential Oil–Safe Water Bottle. It’s too easy for a mom to forget to drink water with all the demands for her attention, but it is extremely important to stay hydrated in order to maintain good health. Try keeping a water bottle nearby with a few essential oils to help boost the flavor.
3. Your Favorite Essential Oil Products or DIYs. It is important for moms to take care of themselves so they have the health and strength to take care of their dear ones. Here are a few DIY products that you may find helpful:
• After touching grocery carts, park benches, and dirty diapers, you may want to get rid of the germs with this Citrus Mint Hand Sanitizer.
• Keep your lips smooth with this Natural Lip Balm so you can keep on kissing your baby’s adorable cheeks!
• Try out these roll-on blends to help you stay sane, well-rested, refreshed, and happy. Kids thrive when mom has energy!
• Keep your breath fresh with this Breath Spray or these Homemade Breath Mints. They are especially handy on mornings when you were in such a rush to get the kids off to school that you forgot to brush your own teeth!
1. Diluted Essential Oils. Because children have smaller bodies and more sensitive skin, it is important to make sure any essential oils used on them are diluted with a carrier oil. This is easy to do with a Dilution Stick or with roll-on bottles. Using a dilution stick on children gives their skin a good coating of the carrier oil before applying a drop of essential oil and rubbing it all in. For roll-on bottles, just add a few drops of essential oil to the bottle, then fill the rest of the bottle with a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil, sweet almond oil, or jojoba oil. See this chart for more accurate guidelines based on the child’s age.
2. Kid-Friendly Essential Oil Products or DIYs. Kids can benefit from essential oil DIYs as well! Here are our top recommendations for children:
Toys are notorious for picking up germs and should be cleaned regularly. This spray makes it really easy to clean your kids’ toys—just spray them all down, let them sit for a few minutes as you spray the rest of the toys, and then wipe them all clean.