Enjoy this delicious vegetarian alternative during grilling season. Essential oils give these burgers a healthy, flavorful kick!
Black Bean Burgers
- 2 cans (14.5 oz./411 g each) seasoned black beans
- 1 cup (120 g) seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (35 g) grated white onion
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. (1.5 g) chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. (1.5 g) salt
- 1 drop basil essential oil
- 1 drop cumin essential oil
- 2 drops cilantro essential oil
- 5-8 slices of cheese
- Hamburger buns or rolls
- Other desired toppings (mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato, etc.)
- Drain black beans, and pour half of them (1 can) into a blender.
- Add breadcrumbs, onion, egg, spices, and essential oils. Pulse until combined and relatively smooth.
- Scrape mixture into a bowl, and add the other can of beans, stirring everything together.
- Divide and shape the mixture into patties.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan, and grill patties for 6 minutes on each side. Take care when flipping them—they are delicate.
- Melt cheese of choice on top, and serve on toasted buns with desired toppings.
Enjoy with a dash of hot sauce and some veggie sticks or chips and salsa on the side!
Indulge your sweet tooth with this delicious grasshopper pie that incorporates the benefits of pure, therapeutic-grade peppermint essential oil.
Grasshopper Pie with Peppermint Essential Oil
- 24 chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 4 drops peppermint essential oil
- Combine crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (you can crush the cookies in a food processor or by hand in zip-lock bag) and melted butter in a medium-sized bowl. Stir until well incorporated.
- Press cookie mixture into the bottom and sides of a pie pan to form a crust. Chill crust in the refrigerator for one hour.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk. Beat with an electric mixer for 5 minutes, ensuring that the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Stir in whipped topping and peppermint essential oil.
- Let pie chill for 1 hour before serving.
To introduce your friends and family to essential oils, host a fun “Make and Take” class where everyone makes truffles infused with essential oils to take home to their valentines!
Essential Oil–Infused Truffles
- 1 package of Original Oreo Cookies, divided
- 1 package of cream cheese (8 oz.), softened
- 5–8 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1 package chocolate melting wafers (16 oz.)
1. Place a long sheet of wax paper over a cookie sheet. Set the cookie sheet aside.
2. Place all but 3 Oreos in a food processor (entire cookie; don’t remove cream filling), and pulse until finely crushed (alternately, if you don’t own a food processor, you can place Oreos in a large Ziploc bag, seal the bag, and crush the cookies with a rolling pin).
3. Pour crushed Oreos into a mixing bowl along with cream cheese and peppermint essential oil. Using the back of a spoon, stir the mixture while pressing it along the bottom of the bowl until well combined and evenly moistened. Scoop mixture out, and form it into 1 inch balls.
4. Line truffle balls on the prepared cookie sheet. Place truffles in freezer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, crush the remaining 3 Oreos.
5. Melt chocolate wafers according to the directions on the package. Remove the truffles from the freezer, and dip them in the melted chocolate. Evenly coat the truffles, and allow the excess chocolate to run off. Return truffles to the baking sheet, and immediately sprinkle the tops with the remaining crushed Oreos. Allow chocolate to set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Special thanks to Christine Russell for sharing this recipe with us on Facebook.
As autumn approaches, the weather is getting colder. A good way to warm up during the cold months is with a bowl of hot soup. This healing soup is a delicious way to incorporate the benefits of essential oils with the benefits of a warm meal!
This recipe was taken from Micki Sannar’s cookbook, Aroma & Olive Oil. Check out her cookbook for many other great ideas on cooking with essential oils!
Healing Soup with Cilantro and Ginger
- 1 small bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½– 2 lb. chicken breast, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2–3 drops ginger essential oil
- 1 drop coriander essential oil
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
- 2 boiled eggs, peeled and diced
- Rinse chicken and partially freeze (2–4 hours). Remove from freezer, and slice thinly.
- Marinade sliced chicken in salt, pepper, and cornstarch. Let rest for 10–15 minutes.
- Using a small cup, combine ½ teaspoon of olive oil with essential oils and sesame oil, and set aside.
- In a large pot, bring chicken broth and water to a boil. Turn heat to low, and add chicken. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- While simmering, add cilantro, and cook for another 1–2 minutes.
- Stir blended oils into the soup, and garnish with cilantro leaves and diced eggs
Source: This recipe is found in Micki Sannar’s cookbook, Aroma & Olive Oil. Used with permission.
Are you still looking for a good Father’s Day gift? Why not make your dad a snack that is easily customizable to his preferences? Try out this healthier version of flavored popcorn and soda pop! You can even print out these darling tags to attach to your gift.
Basic Popcorn with Essential Oil Flavor Ideas
- 1/2 cup of unpopped popcorn (12–16 cups popped popcorn)
- 1/8–1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 3–6 drops essential oil of your choice
- Sweetener such as honey or maple syrup to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pop popcorn kernels, and then place popped popcorn in a large bowl or brown paper bag.
- Heat coconut oil and sweetener over low heat until well combined and liquified. Remove from heat, and let cool for a couple minutes. Stir in essentials oils.
- Pour coconut oil mixture over popcorn, and stir or shake to combine.
- Add salt to taste.
- Coconut-Lime: 4–5 drops lime essential oil, 1–2 Tbs. honey, and salt to taste.
- Sweet Spice: 3–4 drops Protective Blend (can replace with 2 drops clove and 2 drops orange essential oil) and 2 drops cinnamon essential oil with 2 Tbs. maple syrup.
- White Chocolate–Peppermint: 4–6 drops peppermint essential oil and melted white chocolate.
- Lemon & Browned Butter: Brown 6 Tbs. butter (instead of coconut oil) in a saucepan; add 2–4 drops lemon essential oil.
- Parmesan–Rosemary: 1/2 cup grated parmesan, 3 Tbs. olive oil (instead of coconut oil), 2 tsp. salt, and 1 drop of rosemary essential oil. Mix olive oil and rosemary essential oil; add to popcorn, and then shake to coat. Slowly add the parmesan and salt while shaking the popcorn.
- Garlic & Herbs: 4 Tbs. melted butter (instead of coconut oil), 1–2 toothpicks each of rosemary and thyme essential oils, garlic powder (or finely chopped garlic lightly cooked in butter), and parsley flakes. Mix melted butter and essential oil; add to popcorn, and shake to coat. Slowly add garlic powder and parsley flakes while shaking the popcorn.
- Throw in some other food items such as coconut flakes, cinnamon powder, sugar, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, slivered almonds, sesame seeds, bacon, etc.
- Package in a resealable container such as this 16 oz. PET Jar or a mason jar, and attach one of these awesome tags with string or ribbon.
Sometimes, a refreshing drink makes the perfect combination with popcorn. Here is a basic limeade soda recipe with ideas of ways to adjust the flavor to your preference. Just pour the soda into a glass bottle or cup, add a stainless steel drinking straw, and decorate with these labels.
Basic Sparkling Limeade with Flavor Variations
- 1/2 cup lime juice (from about 3–4 limes; add water to reach 1/2 cup if needed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1–2 drops lime essential oil
- Chilled sparkling water or club soda (Regular water works well if you don’t like carbonation.)
- Stir the lime juice in with the sugar in a small saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Lower the heat, and cook (stirring frequently) until the sugar is completely dissolved. Remove from heat, and pour into a glass dish.
- Add lime essential oil. Cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
- Mix about 2 Tbs. of limeade concentrate with 8 oz. of chilled sparkling water in a glass cup. Taste, and add more water if you want a lighter flavor.
- Serve with ice.
- Basil Limeade: Add 1 toothpick of basil essential oil with the lime essential oil, and use basil leaves for garnish.
- Rosemary Limeade: Add 1 toothpick of rosemary essential oil with the lime essential oil, and use fresh sprigs of rosemary for garnish.
- Basic Lemonade: Use 1/2 cup of lemon juice and 1–2 drops lemon essential oil instead of the lime juice and lime essential oil.
- Rosemary Citrus Spritzer: Use 1/2 cup of lemon juice or 1/4 cup each of lemon and orange juice with 1–2 drops of lemon essential oil instead of the lime juice and lime essential oil. Add 1 toothpick of rosemary essential oil when adding the lemon essential oil. Garnish with fresh sprigs of rosemary.
- Strawberry Basil Soda: Juice or blend 1/2 lb of strawberries. Strain out seeds and pulp. You should have 1/2 cup of strawberry juice. Add juice from 1/2 a lemon. Use strawberry lemon juice instead of the lime juice in the recipe, and use just 1 toothpick of basil essential oil instead of the lime essential oil.
- Use mint leaves as a garnish to add a subtle flavor of mint.
- Use frozen berries instead of ice cubes and garnish.
- Try substituting liquid stevia for the sugar to make it healthier. No need to heat it up either—just mix and serve.
Try this easy and delicious salsa recipe next time you are looking for a healthy snack or side dish. The fresh vegetables combine with subtle hints of essential oil in a most satisfying way.
- 3 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 8 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 8 oz. can corn, drained
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 2 drops lime essential oil
- 1 toothpick cilantro essential oil (dip a toothpick into the oil, and then stir it into the salsa)
- Garlic salt
Mix together diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, black beans, and corn. Stir in lime juice and essential oils. Add garlic salt to taste.