So many of us use lotion every day, but many of the commercially available lotions contain ingredients that could actually be harmful to our bodies when used daily. Skin is very porous and absorbs just about everything put on it, so it’s best to use lotion made of natural ingredients. And the best way to know what is in your lotion is to make it yourself!
This lotion recipe is really simple to make. First, melt your hard oils (cocoa butter, beeswax, and coconut oil). Then add your soft or liquid oils (sweet almond oil, fractionated coconut oil, and jojoba oil). Finally, blend together the water and oils until the mixture emulsifies. You’ll hear and feel a change, but keep blending to prevent the water and oil from separating later. Watch the video at the end of this post to see how simple this lotion is to make!
The best part about making your own lotion is that you get to customize the scent! Essential oils make that really easy. You can simply add your favorite essential oil or blend, or you can add oils that help with specific health issues. Whatever you choose to create, this lotion makes a great base because it is simple to make, absorbs easily, moisturizes well, and feels so luxurious!
[recipe title=”Moisturizing Lotion” servings=”Yield=8 oz. (240 ml)” time=”15–20 minutes active” difficulty=”Moderate”]
Ingredients & Supplies:
- 1/4 oz. (7 g) Cocoa Butter (about 4 wafers)
- 1/2 oz. (14 g) Beeswax Pellets (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 1/4 oz. (36 g) Coconut Oil (about 2 1/2 Tbsp.)
- 1 oz. (28.5 g) Sweet Almond Oil (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 oz. (28.5 g) Fractionated Coconut Oil (about 3 Tbsp.)
- 1 oz. (28.5 g) Jojoba Oil (about 3 Tbsp.)
- 4 1/2 oz. (135 ml) distilled water (slightly more than 1/2 cup)
- 25 drops essential oil
- Lotion container (see below for recommendations)
- In a double boiler, melt cocoa butter and beeswax pellets over low heat. Once melted, add the coconut oil, and continue heating until almost melted. Remove from heat, and stir until everything finishes melting.
- Stir in the sweet almond oil, fractionated coconut oil, and jojoba oil.
- Heat distilled water until warm.
- Using a hand mixer, start beating water, and slowly add the oil mixture while continuing to beat. Keep beating for a few minutes. As you blend, you will hear a change and feel the lotion thicken. Let stand for a few minutes. If lotion separates during this time, continue to blend it again for a couple more minutes. If it doesn’t separate, then it has emulsified properly.
- Mix in the essential oil.
- Pour lotion into a plastic zip-top bag. Snip off a corner of the bag, and squeeze the lotion into your container of choice.
- To use, pump a little into your hand, and massage into the skin as needed.
Here are some lotion containers we recommend:
Acrylic Lotion Pump Bottles: These will turn your lotion into a fancy personalized gift.
8 oz. Bottle with Pump Top: These are the perfect size for making a batch to use at home.
Small Lotion Tottles: These are small and portable—perfect for your purse or bag. You can even add a carabiner to clip it to the outside of your bag.
For an extra touch, try adding this cute vinyl “Moisturizer” label!
If you’re a visual learner, watch this video to see just how simple this lotion is to make.